Kidnapped Ondo Corps Members still missing 7 days after abduction


The whereabouts of some members of the National Youth Service Corps, kidnapped at Rumuji in Emuoha Local Government Area of Rivers State, are still unknown seven days after the incident.

Recall that an unspecified number of corps members, who were returning from the NYSC orientation camp in Ondo State to Port Harcourt, Rivers State, were abducted along the Emuoha axis of the East-West Road.

It was learnt that the bus in which they were travelling was intercepted by the miscreants last Tuesday.

It was further gathered that in the pandemonium that ensued, five of the corps members escaped, while an unspecified number who were not so lucky were whisked away to an unknown destination.

This came as some corps members currently serving in Port Harcourt appealed to the kidnappers to release their abducted colleagues unconditionally and unharmed.

Some of them, who spoke to our correspondent at the Rivers State NYSC Secretariat along Ikwerre Road, said their colleagues being held by the kidnappers have not seen their parents for over three weeks and called on the security agencies to up their game and ensure the rescue of the corps members on national assignment.

Meanwhile, the spokesperson of the state police command, Grace Iringe-Koko, said the search for the abducted corps members has intensified.

Iringe-Koko while speaking to our correspondent on Tuesday, said that though nothing has been heard of them, the Commissioner of Police, Okon Effiong, has ordered fresh deployment to ensure the release of the youths.

She stated, “Well, no information has been received for now. But the CP has ordered fresh deployment, including special units to comb the bushes and forest.

“This is in addition to the earlier tactical team mobilised to find the corps members as well as apprehend the kidnappers and make them face justice.

“So we are on top of the situation, but we will not disclose our strategy, even though we are hopeful.”
Iringe-Koko, a superintendent of police, however, said the five corps members who escaped during the incident were safe and had since reunited with their families.

Credit: The Punch

Sam Marris University

Sam Marris University

This will close in 20 seconds