The news going the round that suspected bandits who carried out the massacre at St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo on Sunday have been arrested is unfounded.
SUNSHINTRUTH gathered that Residents in hundreds from nooks and crannies of Owo town besieged the palace of Olowo, Oba Ajibade Ogunoye to confirm the news of purported arrest of the suspects.
The news of the rumoured arrest filtered in and residents who have been mourning the death of their loved ones to the heinous crime besieged the palace to catch a glimpse of bandits at the palace.
Addressing the crowd in owo dialect, oba ogunoye asked them to remain calm, saying he heard the same unconfirmed news just like the residents heard that the assailants had been arrested.
Our correspondent however contacted the Police Public Relations, Mrs Funmilayo Odunlami to confirm the arrest and she simply replied: “Am not aware.”
A source within the palace of Olowo however told our correspondent the information was only a rumour as there was nothing as such.
The source who didn’t want his name mentioned said: “it was only a rumour.The youths besieged the palace in their thousands when the rumour broke out, but it was discovered to be false alarm.
“Kabiyesi was only trying to hail their doggedness as he told them that, ‘I Heard the rumour like you too…and they should be patience to authenticate it.
It was at later discovered that, it was only some fulani/Hausa guys arrested along Owo/Benin boundry in possession of dangerous weapon.”
We are Online