Why we won’t allow #EndSARS Memorial Protests in Ondo, Lagos —Security agency
Lagos State Police Commissioner Hakeem Odumosu described as mischievous, reports that the command has given a go ahead for #EndSARS memorial protests in the state.
Reports on social media platforms quoted the police boss as having endorsed plans by youths to stage anniversary protest in memory of victims of the violence that preceded last October’s mass movement that sought an end to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), police brutality, extortion, bad governance, among others.
Dismissing the report, Odumosu said the ban on all forms of protests by the people was still in order, urging residents to disregard the falsehood.
He said: “It is false and mischievous. At no time did I say that #ENDSARS protests are allowed to hold. Our position against protests for the mow still stands. We will issue a statement on that soon.”
Last Monday, the command warned it would use all lawful means to prevent “misguided elements” from disrupting the peace and serenity currently being enjoyed in the state.
A statement by spokesman CSP Adekunle Ajisebutu, said the command had credible intelligence on clandestine plans by some youths, individuals or groups to embark on protest in commemoration of one year anniversary of ENDSARS.
The statement reads: “Lagosians and indeed Nigerians cannot afford to relive the distasteful experience of last year protest which caused pain, anguish, needless loss of lives and wanton destruction of public and private property.
“In view of the volatility of the present situations in the country, and the breakdown of law and order which the planned protest might cause, the Lagos State Police Command sternly warns against any form of protest today.
“The command wishes to use this medium to warn the youths, groups, or associations planning such protest to jettison the idea forthwith. The police in the state will not fold their arms and allow some misguided elements disrupt the peace and serenity currently being enjoyed in the state.
“To forestall breakdown of law and order, the police will use all legitimate means within their constitutional powers to suppress the planned protest.
“Therefore, parents and guardians are advised to warn their children against participating in the planned protest. Individuals or groups sponsoring such protest are also warned in their own interest to desist from such unpatriotic plan or face the full weight or wrath of the law.”
According to Ajisebutu, all law-abiding residents will enjoy adequate protection as additional security measures have been taken to protect them from harassment or intimidation.
ONDO POLICE WARN AGAINST #ENDSARS ANNIVERSARY
Also in Ondo, the State Police Command said it will not tolerate a repeat of the wanton destruction of government property that accompanied last year’s #EndSARS protests.
Spokesman of Command, Funmilayo Odunlami, a Deputy Superintend of Police (DSP), said the police had put in place tight security arrangements to forestall a breakdown of law and order in the state.
Odunlami spoke in Okitipupa, headquarters of Okitipupa Local Government Area of Ondo State.
The council witnessed the destruction of property on October 22, 2020 by some suspected hoodlums who hijacked the protests.
The Okitipupa Oil Palm Company (OOPC), Police Station, Local Government Secretariat, Court Annex housing the Customary, Magistrates’ and High Courts in Okitipupa were torched by the miscreants.
Odunlami said that police personnel would be deployed to all strategic locations within and outside the state, to prevent a recurrence of the 2020 vandalism.
He said: “We now have good working relationship with residents of the state at large against any breakdown of law and order and destruction of government property.
“We will deploy our personnel to all areas within and outside the state, to ensure the security of lives and property.
“This is because we will not fold our hands and watch any wanton destruction of government property under any guise, or any repeat of last year’s #EndSARS protest,” Odunlami said.
He urged the youths to look for alternative ways of pressing home their demands without resorting to the destruction of government property.
Odunlami, however, urged parents and guardians to caution their children and wards against taking part in any protest to destroy government property.
She said that anyone arrested would be made to face the full weight of the law. The Nation